Mastodon

Featured post

FREE AUDIO BOOK - Bring Her Wolf by Michelle Fox

I’m a wolf with a problem: It’s my birthday and I can't shift. If my wolf doesn't come soon, pack law demands I leave the only home ...

Thursday 12 September 2019

Review: Firefly by India Millar 4 of 5 stars

Firefly Firefly by India Millar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In Japan, a Samurai was the highest level of a warrior and they followed the bushido code of honour. Through the centuries samurai women fought alongside their men but they no longer exist and are considered a myth. Keiko is an exception to that belief and as an ugly younger sister she was tolerated and fated to run errands for her beautiful older sister and obey her father (when he acknowledged her existence). That all changed when her older brother thought it would be funny to teach her the ills and martial-arts of the onna-bugeisha (female samurai). Before long the pupil excelled the master and it became clear the legend of the onna-bugeisha was real.

This was a fascinating story that did its best to explain all the Japanese names, customs and words. Some of the sexual words were a little odd (trunk being an example) but generally, it was a fascinating story. I did find the older sister irritating (which I'm sure was intended), the brother was a typical cocky young male, but Keiko was a weird mixture of determination, foolishness and confidence. Very enjoyable story that opened up a new world to me.

Buy from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment