Mastodon

Featured post

FREE AUDIO BOOK - Bring Her Wolf by Michelle Fox

I’m a wolf with a problem: It’s my birthday and I can't shift. If my wolf doesn't come soon, pack law demands I leave the only home ...

Sunday 8 July 2018

Review: Trouganda by Daniel J. Strait 4 of 5 stars

Trouganda Trouganda by Daniel J. Strait
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A prophesy was written many years ago on another world and when a baby girl is born with a birthmark like the one described in it her parents fear she is in grave danger and they take her and flee for their lives. They find refuge in the village of Jin and they persuade the greatest SOT master ever to train her in his skills. Nakiata works hard at her studies and has to leave as part of her Final Test to go across the world of Trouganda facing danger at every turn - meaning she has to use all the skills and cunning she has to survive.

This made me think of a mixture of Japanese culture, martial arts and some science fiction all woven together into the beginning of an epic series of stories. The locations and events were described in great details so it was easy to imagine and see in your mind where they were and what is happening. What it was missing was more conversational and internal dialogue so sometimes the people felt a bit like a black box. I also felt that the scene was set so much at the start that I became a little bored - so if that happens to you don't give in - it will get a lot better if you get past that section at the start. I liked the flow of the story and the way everything seemed to lead into the next section. I very enjoyable book generally which I found addictive as it got closer to the end wanting to know what she would encounter next. Well written with lots of technical detail and perceptive comments on the environment.

Buy from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment