Mastodon

Featured post

FEATURED NEW RELEASE - Mated to the Gargoyle by Lisa Carlisle

 #wolfpackreads  #wolfpackbookbuzz #romancereads #romancebooks #shifterbooks #shifterromance  NEW! Mated to the Gargoyle  by Lisa Carlisle W...

Tuesday 11 January 2022

FEATURED FREE BOOK - Night Demon by Lisa Kessler

#wolfpckreads #wolfpackbookbuzz #vampire #LisaKessler

Deep within the Yucatan jungle, a demon has awakened...

 Gretchen Finch's job would be much easier if she weren't alone in the jungle with a brilliant recluse whose every glance sets her on fire. But the more she focuses on her work, the closer she gets to unlocking the mysteries of a terrible creature--the Night Demon--that threatens the world as she knows it. Though her scientific mind tells her it's impossible, she's beginning to believe the ancient Mayan tales as the sinister jungle comes alive around her.
 
Lukas Smith has spent hundreds of years searching for answers to his immortal Night Walker nature. As a series of ancient glyphs become clear, he's about to find out more than he'd ever hoped, but the more he learns, the more his fate intertwines with the Night Demon, and the harder it becomes to hide his immortal secret from the beautiful, intelligent Gretchen.
 
Gretchen holds the key to saving Lukas, the Night Walkers, and mankind from the Night Demon’s violence surging across the earth. But his feelings for her cloud his judgment, and if he’s forced to choose between Gretchen and the world, he might let it all burn...


Excerpt:

Lukas held out his hand to her. “Trust me.” 
As she took it, electricity shot through his body. He’d tried to be careful, keeping their working relationship on a strictly professional level from the start. But in the end, it hadn’t mattered. Seeing her sleeping at night, in the hour right before dawn, when that hint of a smile passed over her lips as he stroked her hair back. Or the nights he had to carry her to her cot when she tried to stay up with him and ended up falling asleep at her work table. Somehow, she’d knocked down all of his defences. And although the entire world was in danger, for the first time since he became a Night Walker, he wanted another night. 
Fate had a sick sense of humour. 
He looked down into her lush green eyes. He hated himself for wasting so much time. How many nights passed by that he could have touched her skin, kissed her lips? He’d been so lost in his “curse” that he let it all slip away.
Lukas swept a stray lock behind her ear. “We’ve got to get you back to the Jeep, and I’ve got to get to my cave in the jungle before the sun comes up. I want you to drive to Cancun. Stay in a populated area away from ancient Night Walkers and the Demon until I meet you there after the sun goes down. Deal?” 
Gretchen nodded. “Agreed. So how do we get there?” 
“We fly.” 
Gretchen jumped back from him so fast, he almost flinched. 
“No. Way. No way.” She rubbed her hands up her arms while looking out at the water. “You are not suggesting what I think you are.” She glanced over at him with panic in her eyes. “You’re not seriously thinking you’re going to fly me over there yourself?” She shook her head vehemently. “I’m not going to be flown over the ocean by a giant owl.” 
Lukas took a step toward her, trying to get her to meet his gaze. “We don’t have time for anything else, Gretchen. You know I would sooner die than see you hurt. I won’t let anything happen to you.” 
“But you can’t die. Big difference. I’m all kinds of fragile, remember?” She faced the waves again. “No way. Impossible.” 
Lukas closed the distance between them and pulled her into his arms. Holding her close, he whispered into her hair. “I swear I will not let you fall. I will never let you fall.” 
She pushed him away, swiping at a salty tear on her cheek. “If I agree to this, and I’m only committing to if, then we need to get some things straight between us.” 
He opened his hands to her, wishing he could calm her fears. “All right.”
“Good.” She started pacing along the waterline. “Tell me your real name.” 
“What?” 

“Oh come on, Lukas.” She stopped, placing her hand on her hip. “It’s not a tough question. I’ve heard you mutter in Russian under your breath. Smith doesn’t sound like a Russian name to me. If I’m putting my life in your hands, I want to know exactly who I’m trusting.” 
Lukas pressed his lips together, trying not to smile. “Stanislov. My real name is Lukas Stanislov.” Gods, it had been centuries since that name rolled off his tongue. “Now, can we get you back to the Jeep?” 
“Not yet.” She walked toward him and rose up on her toes as she pulled him to her. The moment her lips brushed his, he wrapped her in his arms and pulled her close. Her body fit against him like she’d been fashioned for him from the beginning of time. Before he was ready to let her go, Gretchen pulled back, her eyes searching his. 
“Just in case this is it, I didn’t want to leave with any regrets.” She took a deep breath. “I must be insane.” She shook her head. “I swear to whatever gods might be listening, if you drop me I will come back and haunt you until the end of time.” 
Lukas smiled. “Deal. Now don’t move.”





No comments:

Post a Comment